Friday, March 20, 2009
As promised from my last post. I made my kid concept into a maquette (a mini sculpture to help you get accurate, consistent drawings from). This is only the 4th one of these that I have made and the very first human I've done if you don't include my first maquette back in 2004 that had a coat, hat, and mask hiding his face. So there was a lot of challenge with this one. If you are sculpting an alien or creature you have a lot of room for error, but a human is something we know, something we see all the time. And it's a lot easier to tell if it's wrong.
I had a lot of fun building this, and as usual I learned a lot from the process. I had a tough time getting him to look the age I wanted, and he turned out looking a bit too young. But I'm alright with that. I left him pretty rough. A few people said he looks like a wood carving. I kind of like that, but I want to push myself on the next one to make the sculpt a little smoother. I learned just how hard it is to mix your own flesh tones. Next time I'm going to try some premixed craft paint colors for that.
As I said in my last post, I'm interning for a maquette design class this coming quarter. I have a feeling I'll learn as much or more from the students than they will learn from me. It'll be a fun process, though. Thanks for reading.
Posted by Pat Bollin at 4:03 PM