Monday, May 12, 2008

Another Creature Design

Here's another series of sketches for class. I have to create a creature from the following plot for an animated film, so the design has to be simple and shape based.

Plot: On the planet Arkanon, a small creature, Muno, stumbles upon a mystic relic. He uses the relic to embark on an epic journey through the stars, unwittingly saving the universe from its ultimate demise. Planet Arkanon is a moist and humid planet covered in water and lush rainforest. Muno is from a species that lives on both land and in the water. This species is somewhere in the middle of the food chain. They hunt and eat smaller creatures, while larger ones hunt them. They are beings of high intelligence, but not the only ones on the planet.

Here's my first stab at it. Its basically a short-thick salamander with vaguely human limbs... in other words, it sucks.


So I decided to go back to the drawing board. I needed to get more imaginative. So I thought, hey," what would you get if a meerkat made sweet monkey love to a crocodile?" I doubt it would look like this, but that was the line of thought that led me to these images.



For the last two on this page I decided to try giving him monkey arms. I liked it, so I kept going with it for the rest of the designs.





No comments :