Thursday, September 3, 2015

Stallion of The Sky: Symbol Designs

You know those little pictures that fly past you on a slot machine reel? For anyone that isn't familiar, those are called "symbols". Each one has a specific purpose in the game, and each one has a value assigned to it. Like I said in the last post, I chose to use Mayan/Incan design language to help create a sense of time and place for the Stallion of the Sky slot game. 

For the bonus symbol (the symbol that might get you to the bonus or free spins screen) I looked at the designs of specific Mayan pottery that some say is proof of ancient aliens. I like the mysterious nature of those pieces, so I wanted to include that look. Do an image search for "Mayan Aliens".


For this mid-pay symbol I wanted a piece of magic pottery that spat a combination of electric arcs and flame, so I combined Mayan pottery with a spark plug. The blue flame in this still version was replaced in the final version with animated electric flame.  


Since I started working in this industry I've really enjoyed creating the letter art for the "Royals" in slot games. Although sometimes I start with a font, these were hand drawn from scratch and then painted digitally in Photoshop. I used some photo texture, but most of it was just painted.


All rights to this art belong to AGS: Cadillac Jack Games, an Apollo Global Management company.

No comments :