Friday, May 6, 2016

Flight of Icarus: Top Screen Art

Before I dive in please take note of the nifty, new "ArtStaion Portfolio" button located below my header art above! As of the writing of this post, I'm just starting to get my gallery put together there, but it will soon house all the art you see here and much much more in an easy to surf gallery. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program:

This is the final post from this game. Here is the original (unused) art for the top screen of this slot machine cabinet, but they decided to go in another direction. The wings would have been added in 3D in-game. This was painted in Photoshop on many many layers to prepare it for animation in After Effects. I'm loosely planning a tutorial video showing how I prep images for animation, but for now just imagine that each part of their bodies and armor are on their own layers.


When the decision was made to change direction on the top screen art we were in crunch time, so I decided to try something I've never really done before. I asked Brandon Moulton, of our 3D team, to render out some 3D figures and wings in the correct poses with loose lighting reference, and I painted over them in Photoshop. Imagine gray mannequins with no hair. Icarus was already built in 3D, so Brandon was able to give me his armor on separate layers, but the girl was a nude, bald figure that I detailed out and painted from there. This was a fun thing to try out, but I think my preferred method will continue to be an all 2D method for now. The following is what ended up on the top screen along with logo art and ads.


All rights to this art belong to AGS: Cadillac Jack Games, an Apollo Global Management company.

No comments :