Thursday, May 5, 2016

Flight of Icarus: Symbols

I hadn't tried any SciFi art for years. One thing I've noticed, looking at the history of SciFi art, is that there is a lot of crossover between SciFi design and the industrial design aesthetic of the day. Meaning, that cutting edge industrial design looks always show up in SciFi art of any given decade/era. So, I not only looked at a ton of games, movies, etc, but I also turned an eye to current day industrial design for inspiration.

The frames for these game symbols are an amalgam of current day SciFi shapes and modern car fascias... that's right. Do a quick google search for Honda or BMW cars and look closely at the front and rear bumpers and light assemblies, and you'll see these shapes.



The symbols almost always need more at than what you see in the frames for when we animate the figures. Here is an example of the full art that I did for Icarus' girlfriend... Oh, wait, I didn't mention this before, but in this version of Icarus, he ditches his dear old dad and makes off with a soldier's daughter instead.




Speaking of soldiers... this is where I think you can really see the Greek/SciFi aesthetic that I was going for in this game.


Notice the difference between the frame above and the frame in the final art. It was decided that the frames would connect and "stack" during game play. This was an additional design challenge, but I felt like it made the task and the final design more interesting.



Here, again, I looked closely at current day automobile design, specifically dashboard digital displays, to come up with the design for this Wild Symbol, which has compass-like dials that spin and initiate game scenarios.


All rights to this art belong to AGS: Cadillac Jack Games, an Apollo Global Management company.

No comments :